Have you ever wondered why you get sore from shoveling? Poor technique is one explanation. Another reason is that you haven't trained for it. Think about the way your body moves when you're shoveling. You bend your knees, scoop the snow, stand up, and rotate your torso to throw the snow. That's a total body exercise when you combine the weight of the snow and shovel.
Now, think about how often you do that movement in real life. You do it when you pick something up from the floor and place it on a table beside you (if you are using proper technique). However, the amount of weight you're lifting is considerably less than when shoveling. If you shoveled snow all year, your body would adapt and you would no longer be sore.
When your exercises mimic real life movement, they're considered "functional." Add rotation to a squat or lunge to simulate shoveling. You can accomplish this by holding a medicine ball, weights in your hands, or by using a band.
Don't make the same mistake I did either. I did not stretch before I went to shovel, and now I'm out of commission. You have to stretch before you try and tackle Mount Snow or you can do more damage than just a few sore muscles. You should also bring water with you. Sweating and the cold can dehydrate you pretty quickly, which is also where I failed yesterday.
So remember: Stretching prior, strengthening prior, bending at the knees, and keep water with you.
A little training will go a long way in preparing you for the next storm. If you have any questions or would like more exercises to prepare you for your next storm please feel free to contact me!
Yours in Fitness,
Tara

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment!
All comments must be reviewed and approved before posting.