MISSION STATEMENT

Fitness to a T, LLC is dedicated to helping individuals within the United States; who want to become, or already are, dedicated to achieving their health, fitness, and lifestyle goals by providing resources and services based on the needs of each individual client.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Fail to Plan; Plan to Fail

January is almost complete, and that means 80% of people that created their New Year's Resolutions are almost at the end of their journey. If that resolution had something to do with health and fitness (working out, losing weight, quitting smoking, etc), 90% will be history by January 15th!! - those people are already on vacation!

By the end of the year, less than 5% of us will have persevered with our resolutions intact. It's easy to see why so many people don't take this annual ritual serious to begin with.

Sad statistics aren't they?

The problems with resolutions are many: Failure to plan, Having unrealistic goals, Not holding yourself accountable, Giving in to the "I'll start over tomorrow" syndrome.. the list goes on and on.

By the end of the year, most of those 90%ers will be back at the message boards, Facebook pages, blogs, water coolers, etc., saying "I don't know what happened" or "I'm so disgusted with myself" or "I'll start over January 1st"...... and the snowball gets bigger...

Remember the story about the boy who cried wolf? Eventually, people stop paying attention, get tired of the 'whoa is me'.. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! is what they want to say, but they love you so they won't. tsk tsk tsk.. Maybe if they did you would still be apart of that 10% that will see their resolution through to 2012 and beyond.

I LOVE YOU.. No really, I do. You are a human being, you are a genuine person, you have a desire in your heart, and in your soul! You simply just don't know how to get that flicker to become an inferno!

Here is some tough love to start with. (this is directed to those that made resolutions to get healthier by starting a fitness plan, or rather "joining a gym".. You succeeded in joining that gym didn't you? 

How many times have you gone? 

How many times did you make an excuse NOT to go? Snowed too much, kids were home from school a lot because it snowed too much, Hubby or Wifey came home late because of the snow so i had no one to watch the kids so i couldn't go.. let's just blame the snow and call it a day shall we?
NO, we will NOT.

We still STOP blaming everything other than ourselves for our excuses, failures, procrastinations etc. 

Start OWNING your actions and thoughts!

Did you have a backup plan for your fitness routine in the event that you were not able to get to the gym?

Did you have a person to hold you accountable in the event that you didn't get to the gym or do your fitness routine?

I can bet the answer to both is NO, am I correct?

The inspiration for this article is a show that I recorded on my DVR, it's called HEAVY and it's on A&E: http://www.aetv.com/heavy/

As a personal trainer i could not help but cry in utter despair for these people. REGARDLESS of how they got there, how much i wanted to judge them, and be disgusted at them; the sad reality is that no matter how sad, upset, angry, disgusted with these people that my human self wanted me to be, the only thing i could do was cry.
I cried during their intro, i cried when they met a goal, i cried when they wanted to give up, and i cried when they didn't. Why? because that's me, that's MY passion - helping people live a healthier lifestyle.

I have a request of you. Watch that show.. in fact, DVR it, and while you watch it I want you to turn off your inner voice that says "I'll never get that big", or "I don't have the same issues that these people have" etc. Just shut it off because the sad reality is if you are overweight now, and you don't do something about it you WILL become obese or even morbidly obese, just like "those people" didn't think they would.

Do you think your Grey's Anatomy show is that important now? or do you think it's worth it to DVR it and watch it on your down time.. not your personal development time?

My second request of you. While you are watching HEAVY weekly, I also want you to read "The Compound Effect" by Darren Hardy.
Then you will understand HOW these things happen, how SUBTLY these things happen, and how you can stop it from happening. Whether it is to lose weight, eat better, walk everyday, save money, pay off debt, etc. This tiny little book will make a PROFOUND difference in your life, I promise that. I wouldn't recommend if it i didn't think it would.

Next week i will continue this series with ways to stay on that resolution band wagon.

Are you game?

Yours in Fitness,
Tara Finch CPT
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!
All comments must be reviewed and approved before posting.